Move mailbox fails
Matt
2005-06-10 21:29:09 UTC
When trying to move a couple mailboxes from an Ex2k to an Ex2k3 server (all
up to date and patched) the move wizard hung at the end and wouldn't finish.
After canceling the wizard I did the move again and this time it deletes a
duplicate mailbox that it had apparently generated on the previous attempt.
The report says to retry the move again later after the mailbox cleanup
process has ran. So I try later only to have the wizard error out and tell
me to wait for the cleanup process to run. I've retried several times after
days have passed to no avail. The 3 event errors are listed at the bottom.

The MS KB895265 article looked promising because it looks like I'm missing a
couple of the reg keys it refers to, but in the end it looks as though the
background processes are running. Though I'm not 100% sure of that.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store
Event Category: General
Event ID: 1205
Date: 6/10/2005
Time: 4:25:10 PM
User: N/A
Computer: pcname
Failed to create the mailbox of /o=University of whereever/ou=School of
Engineering/cn=Recipients/cn=whomever with error 0x4e3.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeAdmin
Event Category: Move Mailbox
Event ID: 9169
Date: 6/10/2005
Time: 4:25:10 PM
User: N/A
Computer: pcname
Failed to copy basic mailbox information.
Error: After moving a mailbox, you must wait for cleanup operations to
complete before you can move it again.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeAdmin
Event Category: Move Mailbox
Event ID: 1008
Date: 6/10/2005
Time: 4:25:10 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HERMES70
Unable to move mailbox whomever.
seth
2005-07-15 16:53:56 UTC
Two simple things I've found helpfull when moving mailboxes:

1. Make sure the account you are signed on as has permisions to modify the
users account (specifically the HomeMDB and HomeMTA attributes, which are
changed after the mailbox is moved).

2. Always perform the move from the source or destination exchange server
(not through a admin workstation).

-Seth